So I *might* have mentioned this already, but I have gone and written a book – published officially this Friday! ‘Closing the Vocabulary Gap’ has proven a labour of love for the last eighteen months of my life and I’m proud to get a hold of it and send it out into the world.
The book is inspired by countless experiences in my classroom and my school; a host of conversations with teachers at all phases about the difficulties students are facing in grappling with the new bigger and harder curriculum; and, finally, a wealth of research evidence on how we can ‘close the vocabulary gaps’ that exists in our classrooms and beyond.
I wanted to ensure that this book offered insights and practical solutions for teachers at every key stage and phase.To support this, I have added free resources to my blog to run alongside the book – making it more user friendly. I will surely add to the resources, but you can now access the following at RESOURCES available on the main menu:
- CTVG Infographic – this is a handy overview of the key recommendations from my book.
- CTVG Reading List – I have collated the key reading texts that supported the book on a shareable side of a4 (with a full version available – including websites and tweeters – on my blog).
- CTVG – 7 Strategies for Exploring Unfamiliar Vocabulary’ – this is a companion resource to the SEEC model, offering accessible strategies to Explore an unfamiliar word.
- CTCG – SEEC model – inspired by research from Graves, Marzano, Beck, Lemov and more, this simple framework offers a clear evidence-informed approach to explicitly teaching a new or unfamiliar word.
- CTVG – Next Steps 10 Questions – this list of question prompts, from the final chapter of my book, offers some considerations for tackling vocabulary in school.
- CTVG – Exploring Etymology PPT – this PPT offers a starter resources for exploring the etymology of individual words.
- Cracking the Academic Code – Teach Secondary article – this article relates to important aspects of chapter 4 of my book.
- One Word at a Time – Teach Secondary article – this article is an accessible way in to the ideas and strategies developed in my book.
Also, there is a range of upcoming blogs supporting vocabulary instruction, to go with alongside these resources, with links and prompts for teachers and more.
You can grab a copy of the book now:
Amazon (Paperback)- HERE
Amazon (Kindle) – HERE
Routledge – HERE
Waterstones – HERE